Friday, December 7, 2012

Political Jargon and Other Things that Matter to Me's Higher Education Blog

The following was in response to a fellow student's blog on higher education in America today.

This is a very important issue to me. It has affected my life in some major ways. When I was a senior in high school, I moved from the city I had lived in for my entire life to Georgetown so that I could attend Southwestern University. It is a wonderful private school with an amazing teaching program. I worked hard in school, got everything taken care of that was needed and ended up getting accepted in early decision to the college. My family and I were so happy. Then I got the information on my financial aid and scholarships. Now, neither of my parents went to college and both work terrible jobs and barely make the bills each month, so they couldn't help me. The tuition for one school year at Southwestern is around $45,000. But even after my scholarships and grants it was going to be at least $15,000 in loans from me a year to attend. That would mean by the end of school I would have at least $60,000 in loans after college. A teacher makes an average of $30,000 a year. How was I supposed to ever pay that off? By the time I figured this all out, it was too late to apply to any other colleges except for the community college. So I am now attending ACC until I can transfer to another University. 
I know that was long, but I wanted to explain why this issue is so important to me. Luckily, it seems that Obama realizes that this is such a huge problem, and he has a couple of things in mind to try and help with the problem. He has plans set up to lower the cost of college, help middle class families afford school, strengthen community colleges, and making the government more transparent so they can be held accountable for the things that they do.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/education/higher-education

No comments:

Post a Comment